Karasik law group were incredibly helpful, gentle, and professional in such a heart broken case regarding the loss ofread more
Caught In-Between Lawyer
New York Construction Accident Attorneys
According to The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), caught-in/in-between hazards are defined as: Injuries resulting from a person being squeezed, caught, crushed, pinched, or compressed between two or more objects, or between parts of an object. Caught in-between hazards kill workers in a variety of ways. These include:
- Cave-ins and other hazards of excavation work,
- Body parts pulled into unguarded machinery,
- Standing within the swing radius of cranes and other construction equipment,
- Caught between equipment and fixed objects.
How Accidents Happen
The most common ways dangerous caught in-between accidents occur include:
- If machinery is not properly guarded or is not locked down when being repaired or not in use, the machinery can accidentally turn on and workers can get their clothes or body parts caught between the machinery.
- Machinery that is used unsafely can tip, causing workers to be trapped between the heavy equipment and another object, wall, or the ground.
- If trenches and excavation sites are not properly supported, workers can be buried when they crumble.
- Walls not braced properly and jacks that are not placed on a firm foundation or secured once the load is raised can cause a building or part of it to collapse, crushing construction workers.
- Scaffolds that are not constructed or braced properly can fall down, crushing workers in the rubble.
- If machinery is not repaired and maintained, it can malfunction and trap workers in deadly accidents.
- When employees are not trained in the safe use of machinery and equipment and how to avoid some of the hazards of construction jobs, they are injured or killed in preventable accidents.
OSHA requires that employers place proper guards on machinery, as well as appropriate supports on equipment that could tip or roll in order to prevent these accidents. Workers must also receive appropriate training on how to move around working machinery on a job site. When owners, developers, or independent contractors fail to uphold these important safety standards and workers get hurt, these workers may have a legal claim for damages against the negligent parties responsible for their injuries.
Excavation and Trenching Accidents
Excavation hazards are common on construction sites. These workers are more than twice as likely to be killed as workers in any other type of construction work. Excavations and trenches are unstable by nature, and many types of serious hazards exist when doing this type of work such as cave-ins which can suffocate or crush workers.
- Caught Between a Vehicle and Object: these accidents are often the result of being caught between a moving construction vehicle like a forklift and a solid, unyielding object like a structure or wall. They can also be the result of being hit by a swinging apparatus like a crane.
- Caught in Unguarded Machinery: these accidents happen when a construction worker’s clothing or body part gets caught in an unguarded portion of a powerful machine.
- Caught in a Machine or Piece of Equipment: this involves being caught in the machine itself.
- Caught Between Objects: these accidents often involve objects that fall and trap construction workers or involve construction workers being thrown from vehicles and trapped between objects in the process.
How Can a New York Construction Accident Attorney Help?
Construction sites contain hazards for everyone, but they are especially dangerous for construction workers who spend their days there. If you or a loved one have been injured in a caught in-between accident on the construction site, Karasik Law Group will fight for your family’s right to compensation for every dollar you are entitled to under the law. Call us to today at (718) 502-9112 to schedule a free consultation. And be sure to visit our website at www.karasiklawyers.com. At Karasik Law Group, winning matters. Win with us! We speak for the injured; our results speak for themselves.
Caught In-Between Injuries
Construction workers injured in caught-between accidents can suffer catastrophic injuries requiring expensive and long-term medical care and can result in permanent disability. Some of these injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Amputation of limbs
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Muscle and tendon sprains, strains, and tears