Karasik law group were incredibly helpful, gentle, and professional in such a heart broken case regarding the loss ofread more
Bicycle Accident Lawyer
New York and New Jersey Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Bicycling is a popular way to get around New York City. It is affordable and good for the environment, as well as a great way to fit some exercise into your day. However, Bicyclists are some of the most vulnerable road users in New York City and unfortunately, serious injuries and deaths from accidents involving bicyclists and motor vehicles are high.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can happen for a number of reasons, but some types of collisions are more common than others.
- Intersections are a common location for bicycle accidents to occur. When drivers are turning or merging with traffic, they can get distracted and fail to see an approaching cyclist. On streets that have bike lanes, drivers making turns at an intersection may fail to see that a bicyclist is approaching the intersection in the bike lane intending to go straight. In this situation, the driver could negligently turn into the path of the cyclist causing a collision.
- Riding down a line of parked cars can be dangerous; this can lead to an accident where a driver opens their door unexpectedly and strikes the bicyclist. Drivers are obliged to look carefully before opening a door, especially if the door is facing the travel portion of the roadway. “Dooring” a bicyclist is a violation of New York’s Vehicle and Traffic Law and is regarded as negligence by the driver and/or their passenger.
- Drivers who are stopped behind a vehicle waiting to turn across oncoming traffic may be tempted to go around the cars in front by going into a bike lane. This is both illegal and highly dangerous to a bicyclist who may be approaching in the bike lane and is suddenly confronted with a car pulling out and striking the bicyclist. Drivers also may illegally park in a bike lane, obstructing a cyclist who is obliged to go around them and into the main portion of the travelled roadway, leading to a collision with an approaching vehicle.
- Parking lots involve drivers pulling in and out of spaces, and they might not always be aware of a bicyclist riding behind or around them, causing a collision.
What to do after a Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents often involve serious injuries and high medical costs. A bicycle accident attorney can help ensure that you get a fair and just settlement for your injuries. Some of the key steps that you should take after a bicycle accident include:
- Seek medical attention. It does not matter if you are not feeling any pain. Bicycle accidents are serious. The body has a way of masking symptoms after a serious injury. Injuries like spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries are particularly notorious for delayed symptoms. A health provider can perform a thorough evaluation and make sure you get the care you need.
- Just like an auto accident, you need to fill out an accident report for a bicycle accident. Do not ignore this step. Oftentimes, accident reports provide valuable information to support personal injury claims.
- Your follow-up care is important. If you do not take your injuries seriously, the other party and the insurance company will not either. If you neglect your medical care, it may adversely affect your personal injury case.
- When you sit down with an attorney, it is helpful to provide as much information as possible. Much of your evidence will come from documents and information that you already have, including medical reports, bills, receipts, and communication from your insurance company or the other party. Write down the names of any care providers that you’ve visited and diagnoses that you’ve received.
- Contact an attorney. Once you hire an attorney, you can direct most of the casework to him or her. The insurance company cannot contact you directly if you have an attorney.
How Can a New York and New Jersey Bicycle Accident Attorney Help?
Bicycle accidents can be fatal, or cause catastrophic injuries, including broken bones, internal damage, and traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can leave accident victims with years of medical bills, therapy, physical disability and emotional trauma that can linger for a long time. If you or a loved one have been the victim of a bicycle accident due to the negligence of a motor vehicle driver, Karasik Law Group will fight for your family’s right to compensation for every dollar you are entitled to under the law. Call us to today at (718) 502-9112 to schedule a free consultation. And be sure to visit our website at www.karasiklawyers.com. At Karasik Law Group, winning matters. Win with us! We speak for the injured; our results speak for themselves.
Bicycle Accident Injuries
The vast majority of bicycle accidents are preventable and stem from the actions of careless or reckless drivers who do not safely share the road with bicycle riders. Sometimes poor road conditions also cause bicycle accidents. With no protection between their bodies and the road, bicyclists involved in traffic accidents often suffer severe and catastrophic injuries. Examples of common injuries resulting from bicycle accidents in New York and New Jersey include:
- Deep cuts;
- Road rash;
- Dislocated shoulders or hips;
- Severe head trauma and potential brain injuries;
- Neck injuries;
- Back injuries including fractured and bulged discs;
- Crushed limbs that sometimes result in amputation;
- Internal bleeding and organ damage; and
- Spinal cord injuries that can lead to permanent paralysis.